This breakfast casserole is so simple. It can be prepped a day ahead and then thrown into the oven, or you can bake it off on Sunday morning, serve it for brunch and then store the leftovers. I bet you could even freeze them! The most awesome thing about this casserole is that it can be tweaked to whatever you like! It really is a fantastic method. If you leave out the potatoes, you can even make it gluten-free.
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 bag of shredded potatoes (you could also use thawed frozen hashbrowns)
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, any flavor (I used a "bacon-lovers" flavor, but hot or sage would be delicious too).
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 C milk
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and Pepper
- Layer the potatoes in the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking pan
- Cook off the sausage and onion until brown
- Whisk together eggs, milk, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and salt and pepper
- Add additional cheese over top
- Cover pan with foil
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes
- Uncover pan and cook another 15 minutes until eggs are set and cheese is brown
**If making ahead, just pop the foil covered pan in the refrigerator until the next morning and bake off.
** This could also be made in the slow cooker over night, just toss all the ingredients in the same order into your slow-cooker and cook on low 8 hours
This recipe is also great for a crowd. I made this batch for Babe's co-workers (those guys work so hard). It was the perfect amount and a great, hearty breakfast for those boys!
Enjoy! And get creative!