So last night, since the weather was chilly, I decided to give it a whirl again. This version is amazing and even better, it's way more waist-line friendly. I used chicken instead of sausage and replaced the cream cheese with some cubed mozzarella cheese. I hope you like it!
Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1/2 C onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced'
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 3 C chicken stock
- 1/3 C parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes (more or less depending on preference)
- 1/2 C fresh mozzerella, cubed
- 8 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Stir together all ingredients (up to the mozzerella) in a slow- cooker
- Cook on low 7 hours (or high 4 hours)
- Remove chicken and shred
- Add chicken back into slow cooker along with the mozzerella and tortellini.
- Cook on high another 30 minutes
- Serve with basil for garnish
- You could eliminate the mozzarella and bump up the parmesan cheese if desired
- You could also replace the tortellini with any short dried pasta like penne or fusilli.