It's been a long time since I made this dish and I decided to change it up a little bit from the traditional. Normally, Chicken Piccata is gently dredged in flour and fried in a pan. I decided to bread it with panko bread crumbs, brown it quickly in a pan and then finish it in the oven. The lemon butter sauce with capers is the perfect accompaniment.
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded 1/2" thin
- 1/2 C flour
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 C panko breadcrumbs
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 C white wine (or broth)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp capers rinsed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Set up a dredging station with 3 plates- flour, salt and pepper in one, egg and water in another, lemon zest and breadcrumbs in the third
- Cook chicken in olive oil about 2-3 minutes per side
- Transfer chicken breasts to a sheet lined tray and bake 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, wipe out pan that chicken was cooked in.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat
- Add lemon juice and wine and reduce by half, about 7-8 minutes
- Stir in capers and serve sauce over crispy chicken
This would be great accompanied by a crisp arugula salad dressed with a lemon vinaigrette!