I was a little apprehensive making this for Babe recently. He is a big fan of bold, rich, red sauces. He's not crazy for pesto or alfredo sauce. But I wanted pasta, and I wanted light. So this is what I made!
Penne with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 jar Sun Dried Tomatoes packed in oil, sliced (reserve 1 tbsp of oil)
- 1 lb italian sausage (hot or sweet- I used hot)
- 1 15 oz can artichoke hearts, quartered (if you're not a fan, you can omit or replace with another veggie like kale, spinach or asparagus)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C white wine (I used pinot grigio)
- 1 lb penne pasta (any short pasta would go great, bow-tie, ziti, cavatappi)
- 1/2 C shredded parmesan
- 2 tbsp basil, freshly chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, cubed
- Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat reserved sun dried tomato oil over medium-high heat
- Add in sausage and break up, cook until brown, about 8 minutes, set aside
- In same pan, add the chopped garlic, and artichoke hearts and cook about 3 minutes
- Add broth, wine and sun dried tomatoes
- Meanwhile, bring large pot of water to boil and cook pasta until al dente
- Drain pasta and add to sauce
- Toss pasta with parmesan, basil and parsley
- Put pasta and sauce in serving bowl and toss again with fresh mozzarella.
This dish makes quite a bit and was a great dinner and then lunches throughout the week. It holds up great for re-heating. This is also a wonderful recipe for a crowd and always a big hit!