Well, yesterday was not happy. I found out that a job I was really working hard to obtain had been awarded to another candidate. That sent me straight into a pity party. When babe came home he took one look at my face, gave me a hug and said "want me to make dinner?" I love this man so much. Babe made me one of his specialties.
Vegetable Beef Soup
I'll be honest... I don't think I can replicate this exactly. Babe's style of cooking is much more organic than mine (meaning a little this, a little that). But I watched him carefully. This is what I think he did.
1 lb beef roast, cubed
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 roma tomato, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 tsp each dried thyme, parsley and basil (or your favorite blend)
1 tbsp tomato paste
6 cups beef stock
2 small russet potatoes, diced
1/3 bag each frozen corn and frozen peas
** This is what I would do
- In large stock pot, sear the beef in olive oil on all sides until brown. Remove from pan and set aside
- Saute onion, carrots and celery until tender about 10 minutes
- Add garlic and cook until fragrent, 1 minute
- Add in tomato paste and herbs and stir until combined
- Add in beef stock, tomato and potatoes
- Bring to boil.
- Add beef back in and simmer 30-40 minutes
- In last 10 minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas and corn
- Serve with crusty bread
Babe loves me. Today I feel much better. Still a bit blue, but my pity party is over. What shall I cook today?