The first winter that Babe and I met, sometimes we got lazy and didn't feel like cooking. I discovered this "Meal Soup" that was tomato based with tortellini and chicken. Even though we felt kind of guilty taking a short cut, that soup quickly became a staple.In fact, I even have a bag of it in the freezer right now! I have been trying to replicate those flavors for a while now and today, I think I finally came up with a recipe that was close!
Creamy Sausage and Tortellini Soup
This recipe is very simple and even better, is prepared in a crock-pot. According to Babe, it is rich and addictive! It even tastes better than our old "Meal Soup". Here's the recipe!
1lb Hot Italian Sausage links
1 24oz jar of prepared marinara sauce
4 C chicken broth
8oz block cream cheese
16oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
1/2 C grated parmesan
1 handful fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
Seasonings to taste (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning)
- In a skillet, cook sausage until crisp on all sides, about 10 minutes. Slice or dice cooked sausage
- To crockpot, add sausage, sauce, broth, cream cheese and cook on low 6-8 hours. About halfway in, I would check seasonings and adjust for taste.
- In last 30 minutes, reduce to low, check for seasonings again and add frozen pasta, cheese, and spinach (if using fresh, wait until the last 10 minutes or so for the pasta).
- Serve with crusty garlic bread and a garden salad!
- A few things that I noticed throughout cooking: You could use ground sausage for some meat in every bite. Also, you could substitute cream or half and half for cream cheese. I noticed that the cream cheese didn't dissolve as smoothly as I would like. Really watch the seasoning. I felt as though it was bland until I put in about a 1/2 tsp of each of the above spices).
I hope you enjoy this fall comfort food!